Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Importance of Limiting Government Power

 

This site is absolutely wonderful. It lists the Articles of Faith of this latest Hoile newspaperman

https://themaverickobserver.com/our-story/



I would wind up being the last male Hoiles heir when my cousin, James Hoiles, died in 1964. I was only twelve, and his death changed my life. The family, who believed and preached in individual freedom for decades, succeeded in controlling my future. The “sacred ownership of Freedom Newspapers stocks” now meant I would be subservient to the wishes of my father and uncle – a confusing dichotomy that to this day continues to baffle! Important thoughts guiding me at this time in my life:

  • I AM a newspaperman through and through regardless of my reluctant beginnings.
  • I believe in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States.
  • I believe the concept of the Fourth Estate, as championed by Edmond Burke in the late 1700s, has never been as important as it is today.
  • I believe in presenting thoroughly researched facts to people in an open and honest way that allows them to form their own opinion. They must have the right to challenge those facts when they are wrong.
  • I believe the world needs standards and accurately reported science.
  • I believe governments and businesses must be open, accountable and responsible.
  • I believe there are people who enjoy lording it over other people, who only care about themselves. They like wearing their Emperor’s New Clothes.
  • I believe in the right of differing views. One should not force their opinion on somebody else. Totalitarianism is horrible!
  • I believe the use of force, except when protecting your own life or the lives of others’, is unacceptable.
  • I believe sheep, shepherds and sheep dogs exist in this world for many reasons.
  • I believe the following quote from Ayn Rand is applicable today:

“When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing – When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors – When you see men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you – When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice – You may know that your society is doomed.” (Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, 1957)

Finally, I believe with fervent faith, that homo sapiens are capable of doing better, of striving for greatness with respect and dignity for one another. They are forging a future that is in keeping with our founding fathers and the men and women who came before me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment